Sunday 30 November 2014

My Inspiration for writing my book Birmingham Girls



I thought that I would share my inspiration for writing Birmingham Girls. I used to listen to Professor Carl Chinn's programme on Radio WM. He is a well known local historian. He always encouraged people to write their memories down through his radio show or newspaper columns before it was too late. I thought about it for a long, long time. I started it, shared what I'd written with my older sister Pauline, who lived in Scotland, she wrote back saying, 'get on with it'. Cutting a long story short, I didn't, life got in the way, and a few more years went by.  In between whiles Pauline would write or phone asking me if I'd written anything else. She kept telling me to finish it.  I asked her to write her memories down for me for (a car accident had unfortunately wiped many of my memories out), Pauline promised she would. Unfortunately she died suddenly. I was bereft for a long time, but after a while I started to write my memories down as a tribute to her, always hearing her voice urging me on, 'to get it done.' She remained at my elbow until I eventually finished it ten years down the line.
Without the encouragement of my beautiful sister I would never have written Birmingham Girls.
I've also published a booklet of the Kindle edition. If anyone is interested in buying a copy let me know. You can follow the link on my web page for my email address.

No comments: