Tuesday 28 October 2014

Favourite reads

At the moment I'm reading A Week in Paris by Rachel Hore. I'm finding it a little boring and might put it to one side and come back to it another day. A pity really as I normally enjoy her books. 

I've just finished reading Pauper's Gold by Margaret Dickenson. I enjoyed this book, there are plenty of plot lines, and one or two surprises. It held my interest most of the way through, although towards the end I did find one of the main plot lines completely unbelievable. But then others would argue that as it's fiction it's acceptable. I won't spoil it by writing a spoiler, but it did spoil what had up to then been a pretty good read.
I would  give it a 4.0 star review on Amazon.

About this book
Hannah Francis has been forced to leave her beloved mother and the life she knows in the silk mill town of Macclesfield and is set to become an apprentice at a cotton mill in the Derbyshire dales. It is a cruel blow for such a young girl, but her three travelling companions are even younger than she is, and Hannah is determined to keep their spirits up and remain in good cheer. Once she is settled in the mill, Hannah discovers that the hours of work are long, and the daily routine is dangerous, arduous and harsh, but her bright singing and capacity for joy lighten the load for everyone. Hannah soon becomes a favourite with the other mill workers. Friendships are forged and an innocent love starts to blossom. But can such a fragile love survive cruel reality? It is not long before she attracts the eye of Edmund Critchlow, the man who owns them all, body and soul – the man from whom no pretty mill girl is safe. Times are hard in the cotton industry as civil war rages across America affecting even the mill owner and the lives of all his workers . . . 
Sorry about thelong link I couldn't get Tiny Url to work!

I really loved this sweet Christmas romance.



In this 'Sweet' Festive Romance, Josie Merry is full of the joys of the Christmas season, until she notices that Toby the Labrador appears to be unwell.
When she calls out vet Matthew Richardson, late one Winter's evening, she does not expect to experience love at first sight; nor does she expect all the joys and the heartaches that the following days will bring.
This is a gentle 'sweet' love story, which is brimming with the spirit of Christmas.

Originally published in December 2012, this version was released in December 2013.



Moving On is a fascinating read, packed full of memories of Machester. I found I could not put it down once I'd started it. I would highly recommend it.
tinyurl.com/krhaln4

This continues my journey from ‘The Age of Innocence’ a wartime memoir as I ‘Moved On’ to a much more contented and moderately successful life, looking for work, taking on second jobs until I got married and eventually in 1960 I started working for a TV Company. This was a time when Granada TV was only a few years old and I watched it change from being just one of the regional companies to become one of the most popular and respected of all the companies.
Sometimes people behind the scenes can see a different picture from the one on the screen. I worked in some very interesting departments one of the first was as a copy taker in the News Room and I was only the third person to hear about President Kennedy’s assassination and Granada was the first company in Britain to break the story. 
Some of the stories are funny, some homely and some tragic, witness when I typed a transcript of the Moors Murder tape. 
I worked for Granada for almost thirty years finishing up as a Picture Editor.
Some of the stories in these books illustrate just how naïve I and many others of my generation were, and some of us still are 




Another favourite read of mine is New Mediumship below. This in my opinion is an exceptional book.

Available from Amazon Kindle and in paperback

Have you ever wondered why only certain individuals appear to have the gift of mediumship? Have you ever wondered just what mediums see and hear when they receive messages from the spirit world? All can now be revealed in this ground-breaking new book from the spirit counsellor - and the answers will shock even the most experienced of spirit workers. Join the spiritcounsellor on his quest to seek answers to the questions that nobody dared ask before.


The Girl on the Swing is a book I really enjoyed, and highly recommend. It's one I intend reading again.


The Girl on the Swing by Ali Cooper

Julia believes she has lived before.
Suspended from her job and grieving for her lost son, Julia's past lives become an escape from her troubles in the present. For the first time, she meets someone in this life whom she recognises from a previous existence. But this man is a murderer, convicted of killing his wife. As Julia seeks to find out more, past and present entwine, culminating in a dramatic conclusion.
The book is available from Amazon Kindle and in paperback



No comments: