Sunday 13 July 2014

Premonitions and other Psychic Phenomena

Last night I watched the film, Premonition. I'd recorded it last week. I found it a little disconcerting as it went backwards and forwards in time rather a lot. Terribly confusing at times.
The film set me thinking -as usual! I wondered why we are given premonitions (if that's what they are); after all we can't alter time. If someone is going to have an accident, get seriously injured, or even worse die, what's the point in being aware of it? None, as far as I'm concerned. What's written is written, it can't be altered. In fact, it's cruel in my opinion to be given the knowledge. After all knowing what you know you can't possibly share it with anyone. Of course, there are countless premonitions which never come true, but they must still be a worry for the people who receive them.
I recall once having a premonition that my dog was going die soon - within a couple of weeks - I felt shocked and devastated. I went went into denial. At the time the little fellow was doing really well. He did die within the time mentioned. I've often thought how cruel it was to be told this. There was nothing I could do about it. It didn't help me to know; and it certainly didn't prepare me. In fact, I've always thought it was cruel. If a person you love and cherish is going to die, or a beloved pet, I honestly do not think we can ever prepare ourselves for the terrible shock of losing them. We can't avoid bad things happening in our lives.
Of course  good premonitions are received by people, but in the main it's the ill omens that get the most publicity. Some people dream they're going to win lotto, it's splashed across the papers when they do. But how many dream they're going to win and never do? We don't hear about them.
Something else which I've been thinking about in the last week or so, are mediums who tell us that dead film stars, or famous singers contact them. I've often wondered why someone famous would contact a medium they never met during their lifetime. I've heard of countless mediums who say they've spoken to Elvis? Really? Elvis has had a busy time since he passed away.
IMO, if someone is given the option to return surely they will visit the relatives they loved most when they were alive? I can't see why they would waste their visit on visiting an unknown medium. Still I suppose it's excellent publicity for the medium concerned. It raises their profile. Or am I being cynical? Not really I'm just wondering aloud, as usual.

No comments: