Monday 22 October 2012

How I came to write, The Other Place, plus an excerpt.




THE OTHER PLACE
I thought I would write about how The Other Place, came to be written.

I suffered from claustrophobia all my life. It worsened considerably a few years ago and began to affect my sleeping pattern, and I also began to experience panic attacks. This began to affect my daily life.
One day I mentioned this to a friend who said she also suffered from claustrophobia. I asked other friends, and began to realise just how many other people suffer from this problem, but find it embarrassing to talk about it.

I decided to research the subject. I found this absorbing and discovered that claustrophobia can lead to people suffering other anxiety disorders. I read that 5 -7% of the world population suffer from this condition, but fortunately there are treatments available. Treatments may include cognitive therapy, hypnotherapy – some therapists believe revisiting a past life can help patients find the cause of their problem. In fact, there is a wide range of treatments available to help sufferers of this condition.

I know there are many people out there like myself who are too embarrassed to admit their problem. We learn to live with it by avoiding situations which can bring on the anxiety.

It suddenly dawned on me one day my story could be the basis of an interesting storyline. The past life aspect appealed to my imagination. I contacted a few regression therapists who obviously could not discuss the client’s stories, but were helpful. I sat down, and Chrissie James and her family presented themselves to me. The Other Place was born.

Chrissie’s story is fictitious, apart from the claustrophobia and the sleeping difficulties. I did find the book emotionally difficult to write; the main characters have to deal with some tough issues, but I felt compelled to write it.

After finishing the book, I found my sleeping pattern improved, and other anxieties gradually disappeared.


Chrissie James is a troubled soul: with family problems, unexplained phobias and a stalker to contend with, she seeks help with a hypnotherapist. Whilst in therapy, Chrissie discovers she has led a past life.
Will living a previous life help Chrissie to discover the truth of what caused her fears and phobias, and will she find out who is stalking her?

The Other Place is a paranormal mystery; its many twists and turns will keep you guessing to the very end.



EXCERPT FROM

CHAPTER 1

‘Oh, my bum feels so cold on this step, Sis; I’ll have to move or I’ll freeze me knickers off.’

Jumping up, twelve-year-old Chrissie James started running up and down the garden path, rubbing her backside trying to increase the circulation. Babs, her fourteen-year-old sister, doubled up laughing as she watched her sister’s antics. She called, ‘Pack it up or you’ll have the whole terrace laffing at you. Our mum will clip your ear’ole for showing us up if you ain’t careful. Mind the cat, you nearly tripped over her, ’er’ll be having ’er kittens soon, look at the size of ’er!’

Chrissie stopped dead; no way did she want to anger her mother. Their mum was someone to be reckoned with when she lost her temper.

Hearing footsteps coming up the path running between the back-to-back houses, they saw a tall, heavily built woman in her thirties advancing towards their gate. The woman had long black hair held back with hairgrips on either side of her face. What drew Babs’ attention more than anything was the slash of bright red lipstick the woman was wearing, giving her long, pale face a ghoulish look. Her blue eyes almost popping out of her head, Babs gave the woman a hard stare, which the woman returned with a wide smile, revealing the largest set of teeth the young girl had ever seen, and to make matters worse, they were smeared with lipstick. Babs froze for a minute then hurried back to her sister. Snuggling up beside Chrissie on the doorstep, the girls watched the woman push the gate open and proceed to walk up the path.

‘What’s up, Babs?’ Chrissie queried, wondering at her sister’s reaction to the stranger.

‘I don’t like the look of ’er, Chris. She gives me the creeps.’

By this time, the woman had reached them. ‘Your ma in?’ she demanded sharply in a strange-sounding accent.

They nodded, staring up at the woman’s mouth; the girls couldn’t take their eyes off her. ‘Tell ’er I’m ’ere then,’ the woman demanded impatiently. ‘I ain’t got all day, you know.’

Clutching her sister tightly, Babs yelled, ‘Mom, there’s a woman ’ere wants to see you.’

‘What now,’ a tired-sounding voice called irritably from the darkness within. ‘What ya been up to, our Babs?’

Link to buy a copy of The Other Place



My website  www.carolarnall.com

No comments: