Wednesday 26 April 2017

An interview with Authoramp


 Available from Amazon Kindle, in paperback and free if you subscribe to KU
Today we have an interview with the renowned author Carol Arnall. Her latest book ‘The Other Place’ which has often been ranked number 1 on Amazon for Kindle (Supernatural and Reincarnation Category), and has been ranked number one in the Kindle List. It has been in the top 100 over 382 times!

When did you first realise you wanted to be a writer?
Practically all my life. English Literature was my favourite subject at school so I have always had a keen interest in reading and writing.
How long does it take you to write a book?
Normally about 12 months from start to finish.
What is your work schedule like when you’re writing?
I try to spend at least an hour every day working on the current WIP.
 What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I don’t know about interesting but I like my desk to be as clear as possible. I just have my specs case, and a notepad and pen handy. Any clutter and my mind won’t settle.
Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
A word I hear can spark an idea. Even a colour. For The Other Place it was my fear of enclosed spaces that made me think of writing the book.
When did you write your first book and how old were you?
I wrote my first book when I was a child! I filled an exercise book with stories I’d made up. No-one ever saw it. I haven’t a clue what the stories were about now.
What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
I do a lot of fabric painting which I then embroider. I love walking my dog in the woods and countryside. I take 100s of photographs when I’m out and about. Reading is one of my fav hobbies as well.
How many books have you written? Which is your favourite?
I’ve written 15 books – this includes fiction and nonfiction. If I have to choose a favourite it would be Birmingham Girls, my autobiography.
Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
Practice, practice, and more practice. Seriously, I think everyone approaches writing in a different way. I think whichever way works for you, go for it.

Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
I have heard from readers and also family members I didn’t know about. And lost-lost school and work-friends. A few via snail mail, email, and via Facebook.
Readers have thanked me for my books. Particularly BGs, and my book Choosing Your Psychic Pathway – they say this has helped them. Also, women have written and thanked me for writing The Other Place. This was a complete surprise. I never expected to receive mail about it.

What do you think makes a good story?
Well developed characters, good descriptions, and an interesting plot-line that will make me want to keep turning the pages. It must have a happy ending and leave readers happy.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
I was never particularly ambitious. I wanted to get married, have two children – a girl and a boy. I did. But from an early age I always wanted to write a book.
The Other Place is available now from Amazon and on Kindle

No comments: