Thursday 12 June 2014

My Second Selfie Interview!

How is your new novel coming along?
 Due to being ill for six weeks it's taking me longer to gather my woolly thoughts together and concentrate on writing. I think the main problem is the eye trouble that the Bells Palsy has caused. Plus I am unable to spend as much time as I would like on the computer. Hopefully in the next few weeks everything will revert to normal. Including my concentration. Meanwhile, I use my time experimenting with new craft ideas. And of course being positive, but not trying to rush things. I'm lucky it wasn't worse. When the time is right I will return to writing full time.

Do you have anything else to share with us?
Yes, before the road traffic accident I was involved in back in 1989, I could not draw or paint. Since the accident occurred, I am able to do both. I find this truly amazing. It also gave me the opportunity to spend more time researching psychic phenomena, and time to write.

Have you any plans for new novels when you have finished the current one?
Yes, indeed, I have jotted down an outline for the next book. I find it a fascinating story, and I'm looking forward to writing it. I have no plans for a nonfiction book at the moment.

Tell us how a normal writing day is for you.
I try to squeeze an hour in before I take my dog for a walk in the morning. This of course depends on how early I manage to get up! If I oversleep -I should be so lucky - I try to write for at least fifteen minutes when I have my mid-morning coffee. If possible I can then squeeze a couple of hours in the afternoon. Much depends on the weather. Should it be raining or snowing I do manage to spend more time writing

Do you enjoy writing?
Yes, I wouldn't write if I disliked it! I love writing. I always have, from when I was young I have been telling and making stories up. The worst part is the editing, but if you tell yourself that you are almost there it's not so bad.

How long does it take you to write a book?
About twelve months for a novel, of say 80,000 words. But then the editing can take nearly as long afterwards. This involves proofreading, as well.
My nonfiction book Birmingham Girls took about ten years to write. I must admit I did leave it alone for months at a time. It was after my older sister died that I decided to finish the book. Pauline (my sister who died) had always encouraged me to write the book and also other work I have had published. I felt that she guided me through the writing process.


Available from Amazon Kindle




No comments: